Sugar Beet Co-op member and volunteer, Ronak “Roc” Patel, studied culinary arts at Le Cordon Bleu Chicago. He is a private dining chef as well as a caterer.
For more information on Chef Roc’s private dining services, go to his website: http://chefroc01.wix.com/chef-ronak-roc-patel.
Makes 30-40 individual stuffed peppers.
Here's what you'll need...
- Large casserole dish
- 1 medium bag of mini sweet peppers
- 4 oz. mild, soft goat cheese
- Fresh basil for garnish
- ½ medium onion, small diced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- ½ jalapeno, seeded and finely diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup of brown rice, uncooked
- 1 box of frozen mixed vegetables, any variety
- 1 cup of cooked beans, any variety
- 3 cups of water or vegetable broth
- 1 8 oz. bag of mozzarella cheese
Step by Step...
- Sauté onion, garlic, and jalapeno in olive oil
- Add brown rice and sauté with aromatics until glossy.
- Add mixed vegetables and cooked beans and sauté everything together until vegetables are tender.
- Add water or vegetable broth. Cook until done, roughly 45 minutes.
- Let rice cool slightly.
- Add mozzarella cheese to rice mixture. Check for seasoning.
- 1 28 oz. can of tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 ½ tablespoons onion powder
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- sugar, salt, and pepper to taste
Step by Step...
- Heat tomato puree and add spices (garlic powder, onion powder, thyme, oregano, dried basil, sugar, salt, and pepper).
- Simmer sauce on a very low heat for roughly around the time it takes for the rice stuffing to be done. Use your own judgment.
- Stuff peppers with rice stuffing.
- Coat greased casserole dish with small layer of tomato sauce.
- Arrange stuffed peppers in an even layer.
- Cover with more tomato sauce.
- Top with small dollops of goat cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 45 minutes.
- Top with fresh torn basil for garnish