Wednesdays 4:30-6pm at River Forest Kitchen
Session 3 - SOLD OUT!
January 11, 18, 25 + Feb 1, 8, 15
Session 4 - register here
February 22 + March 1, 8, 15, 22 + April 5
ARE YOU READY TO LEARN HOW TO COOK? REALLY COOK?
In 6 intensive weekly sessions, you will be introduced to and practice essential cooking techniques that will inspire your cooking for years to come. Professional chefs will help you master culinary cornerstones such as knife skills, sauce making, pasta making and working with grains, beans and vegetables.
By learning the science behind cooking, you will be prepared for a lifetime of confidence and fun in the kitchen!
6 sessions are $270 per student.
That's $45/ class with ingredients, tools and instruction included.
(please reach out to email@example.com if your young chef needs financial assistance through our scholarship fund)
WEEK ONE: Knife Skills- Let's Chop!
- Mis en Place
- Kitchen Safety & Sanitation
- Building Flavorful Sauces
- Working with, Buying and Storing Vegetables
WEEK TWO: Pasta Master Class - Like Nona Used to Make
- Working with Dough
- Using a Rolling Pin
- Cutting Fresh Pasta by Hand & with Machine
- Filling Pastas
- Which Sauces Pair Best with Various Pastas
WEEK THREE: Eggs 101 - Food Science Explored
- Soft, Hard, Poached, Scrambled and More!
- Emulsions - Homemade Mayo
WEEK FOUR: Beans for the Gourmand
- Cooking Beans from Scratch - Testing the Myths
- Using a Pressure Cooker & Crockpot
- Making Creamy Hummus
- Home Sprouting
- Recipe Cost Analysis
WEEK FIVE: Grains Glorious Grains!
- stove top popcorn
- baking, roasting, toasting - granola
- grain salads & heirloom grains
WEEK SIX: Local Foods Exploration
- What's in season? Local produce is beautiful and delicious!
- We'll use our new skills to make a wonderful meal that we'll share at the end of class!